Diamonds are those sparkling things on the Earth which are dream stuff of every woman. Every woman once in their lifetime has a dream to possess a piece of diamond. But a very few know that diamond caters a long history behind it which is pretty much interesting.
So here are some of the most interesting facts about diamonds which will amaze you.
- In the ancient time, the Romans and the Greeks believed that the diamonds were the tears of gods or splinters from the falling stars. On the other hand, the Romans believed that Cupid’s arrows were tipped with diamonds, indeed it is believed to be the earliest connection of diamonds and romantic love.
- Diamonds are dated to be billions and billions of years old and in some cases, it was found them to be dating more than 3 billion years old.
- Diamonds are formed around 100 miles below ground and it is said that they were carried to the earth’s surface by deep volcanic eruptions.
- Diamonds are made up of a just single piece and nearly 100% of carbon. Under extreme heat and pressure underneath the earth’s surface, the atom binds in a very unusual but unique way which results in the beautiful but rare crystalline structure of diamonds.
- Diamonds are the hardest and the toughest natural substances found on the earth. Another diamond can only scratch another diamond.
- An evidence came in front which depicted the value of the diamonds for thousands of years. It is said that in India diamonds were collected and traded in India in the early 4th century BC. The Roman naturalist Pliny in the 1st century AD quoted that “ Diamond is the most valuable, not only a precious stone but of all things in this world.”
- Ancient Hindus used diamonds as the eyes of devotional statues and they believed that a diamond could protect its wearer from danger.